In 1939, with a federal grant of $58,000, work began on the Mount Spokane Lodge, which opened in October 1940. It was a cozy and functional building of hand-peeled logs and cut granite, again based on “principles of naturalistic design”. During this period, W. Weigle was parks superintendent and Charles Saunders parks architect. Materials were purchased through the CCC, but the actual construction was done by carpenters and masons from the area. The lodge offered guests a lounge, fireplaces, dining areas, dormitories, and waxing room for skis.